Briardene Residential Care Home, Harrogate
Briardene is a spacious Victorian triple-fronted house with accommodation for 13 residents close to Harrogate town centre. It has a friendly atmosphere and provides a quality service for adults with learning disabilities and physical disabilities.
The house is handily placed to enable residents and helpers to visit the many attractions in the town centre, including the many shops, cinemas, pubs, restaurants and the railway and bus stations.
A lot of effort has gone in to encouraging residents to make Briardene their home. Although the rooms are fully furnished, residents can choose the decoration for their own room, bring along their own furniture and suggest how the communal areas are decorated.
All the residents have chosen to live at Briardene on a long term basis. The committed staff work closely together to provide a “quality” service. The home is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We have waking staff throughout the night to provide help where needed and we provide everybody with a individual support package. We believe as a staff team that:
- Our residents are at the centre of what we provide.
- Residents have a right to live like anyone else in the community.
- Services such as ours should recognise the individuality of adults with disabilities.
In our ‘Philosophies of Care’ we have written down the five main accomplishments that the service should seek to achieve for the people in our care. They are:
- Share places with other people – to go out into the community using the same facilities as others.
- Have choices about their lives – from where to live, what to do, where to go, what to eat and what to wear.
- Develop skills and competences at different things.
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Encouraged to maintain relationships with neighbours, friends, staff and families.
Evening and Leisure Pursuits
Cinema – there are two cinemas in Harrogate, the Odeon and an Everyman, both within walking distance.
Movie Night – an alternative to the cinema, with treats and popcorn.
Pampering – treatments and manicures to the fore on these occasions.
PUBS – there are many pubs of all types in the town, some with live music, real ale, TV sport and games.
Restaurants – a huge selection of high quality restaurants providing food from all round the world
Betty’s Tea Rooms– Harrogate is the home of the world famous Betty’s. We have the original large town centre restaurant and shop and the large out of town Betty’s at the beautiful Harlow Carr gardens.
Theatre/Shows/Live – residents always enjoy a night out, from live theatre to gigs and trips to the Leeds Arena.
We have one large communal lounge with a full Sky HD package and a smaller quiet lounge. Residents are encouraged to choose how they want to spend their leisure time.
Shopping – Harrogate has a varied and vibrant town centre with many large stores and plenty of unique shops in the town.
Trips out – Residents are encouraged to take trips out of Harrogate to Leeds and York and further afield such as Whitby, Blackpool, London and Edinburgh.
Knaresborough – Harrogate is situated very close to the market town of Knaresborough which has many cafes and pubs with the picturesque riverside and Castle.
Holidays – The residents plan their own holidays in small groups and over the years they have enjoyed many exciting trips at home and abroad, such as Spain, France and euro Disney as well as Blackpool!
HS4LC – Our sister organisation provides comprehensive adult education programmes for adults with learning difficulties, with wide ranging activities from adult literacy, IT skills and cookery.
The Purple Patch – also provides a comprehensice adult education programme, from pottery to adult literature.
The Lunch Club – An opportunity to enjoy lunch and meet new friends. Also stay for the raffle and bingo.
DAT – Provides training and education, aiming for recognised qualifications and supported work.
Supported work placements/Volunteering – We regularly provide support for residents in these areas.
Open Country -is a charitable organisation which enables anyone with a disability to access the countryside for walks and trips, through the provision of countryside activities and information. Fully accessible transport and teams of trained volunteers are on hand to help as necessary.
Social Group – Every week the group meets at the Fairfax Centre and enjoy lots of crafts, bowling, card making baking and trips out.
ZOOLAB – is an animal therapy organisation who visit us to provide positive interaction with animals of all types for residents to handle and get to know. It’s one of our more popular events!
- We also have a music group every Monday evening.
- We have a skilled staff team who deliver many of these activities in a relaxed but structured environment.
- Residents are always encouraged to participate in as many – or as few – of the things we do as they wish.
How to find us
Briardene Care Home
63 East Parade,
Harrogate HG1 5LP
Facilities At Briardene
- Briardene has 13 spacious bedrooms.
- 5 Bathrooms including 2 wet rooms and a bath with a lift
- Full ground floor access
- 2 lounges
- Sky HD, WI-FI
- Fully accessible kitchen for baking and independent living skills.
- We have skilled staff who provide structured in house craft, art and pottery activities and we have a fully stocked craft store room