To provide overnight support and care for residents, in a way that respects the dignity of the individual.
The care and support provided by the Waking Night Care Assistant is expected to include support that would reasonably be given by members of the customer’s family and is not to include tasks that would normally be undertaken by a trained nurse.
- To ensure that all actions comply with the CQC requirements of the 5 key lines of enquiry
- To act in ways which respect individual rights and maintain the dignity of people with learning disabilities
- To provide support to residents, appropriate to their support needs, during the night time hours
- To keep residents safe from harm
- To deep clean kitchen, communal bathroom and communal living areas
- To launder clothes including washing, drying, ironing
- To write in residents care plans and handover notes information specific to individuals who receive care during the night
- To adhere to all policies and procedures at all times.
Duties of the post
- To contribute to the maintenance of accurate and up to date records including care plans, health improvement plans and star outcome charts of residents
- To assist residents who need help going to bed in the evenings and occasionally in the mornings, including dressing and undressing, washing, bathing and going to the toilet.
- To help residents with their mobility and with any physical disabilities, including incontinence and use of personal aids and equipment.
- To safely administer medicines, (training will be given)
- To report either to the Supervisor or Senior staff on duty any significant changes in the health or circumstances of residents.
- To care for residents who are temporarily sick and need personal care during the night
- It is considered essential that key workers possess the following qualities:
- Confident to work alone during the night time hours
- Self motivated & well organised.
- Caring & sensitive to the needs of others.
- Ability to use own initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Patient and empathetic with people who have a learning disability
Key skills required
- Knowledge of working with people who have learning disabilities and or care and support needs including personal care needs
- Very good communication and listening skills
- Good spoken and written English language skills
- Minimum level 2 Health and Social Care
- Up to date training in Health and social care mandatory training preferred